BeautyTech Forums

Full Version: Any nitrile glove vs. vinyl glove experience?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all!

I'm having to "glove up" all the time now when I provide gel polish services. I'm finding the Safety Zone brand of vinyl gloves I've been using to not be strong enough, and I'm in the market......

Thanks!!
I have the same problem with gels. I HAVE to glove up when I use them as I'm allergic to the product.

I use the purple or blue nitrile gloves. They hold up well with gel and when I have to use acetone. I can take off a full set of polish with the gloves and they don't melt or rip. I also use them for pedicures-same thing. I can take off polish and not have any problems with the gloves melting.

I usually get mine at Wal-Mart. 100 gloves for $9 something. If I happen to be at Sam's club I can get 200 for the same price. I'm sure I can get them cheaper if I order them from somewhere but this is working for me right now. I don't do that many pedi or gels that I need to use them often. I can get by not gloving up for Gelish services but I have to make sure I don't touch the product at all. I use a cuticle stick for any clean up.

I hope that helps!
That is exactly what I needed to know. The acetone melting through the vinyl gloves has become a hassle, and I wondered if the nitrile would hold up. I'm glad to hear you can still do the Gelish without gloves....I still manage to get a touch of it on me somehow, somewhere!

I can do the Amore brand of hard gel on myself and others without any reaction, and I hope I can continue to.....I will be really sad if that has to end, too!

Thank you so, so much for your response.....you're a sweetie!! Big Grin
You are more than welcome! I'm sure you'll be happy with the nitrile.
I have developed a terrible allergy to the Gelish and Shellac and I can't even put the bottles away without protection or I'll break out. I've tried many different types of gloves, barrier creams, rubber thimbles, finger cots, band-aids, you name it and I tried it. Then one day I came across "Finger Gloves". They have saved my life!!! They are like finger cots but better. I didn't like gloves because I felt so restricted and I would get very sweaty. The Finger Gloves are reusable and can be used over and over again. They can hold up to acetone no problem and I only need to cover my three allergic fingers. You can cut them to your desired finger length and they just blend into your skin that you forget your wearing them.
They have truly saved my life!!! Kelly*

http://www.fingergloves.com
I use NitraStretch *pink Nitrille* they are non-latex powder free gloves. I use them with every service. I buy them from Top Quality Manufacturing Inc. Glove World $6.99 per box (100 count)
http://www.topqualitygloves.com/index.ph...6ebe6af142
Thanks, Lisa!

That's a great price -- and I appreciate the link very much.

Good to know you wear these for everything and can produce the beautiful gel nails that I so enjoy looking at pictures of!! Big Grin

Have a wonderful week!
I was a dental hygienist for years/turned to being a nail technician and fell into the no-glove routine fast because my hands sweat - hate it. When I had my epiphany and went back to more proper infection control and gloves, I went to nitrile but I still had sweaty hands! The "fix" came in the form of a package of 12 of stretchy, cotton, thin, and cheap gloves from Industry Source - or TNG or whoever they are now - to wear inside the nitriles.
Not only does this fix the sweats, it also makes gloves very easy to put on/take off.
The cotton gloves can be washed in the laundry in a lingerie bag. They can be reused a couple times inside the gloves but the gloves CANNOT be reused. It's an infection control thing. (Nor can finger cotts, etc, btw.)
Thank you!
janmccormk :
> I was a dental hygienist for years/turned to being a nail technician and fell
> into the no-glove routine fast because my hands sweat - hate it. When I had
> my epiphany and went back to more proper infection control and gloves, I went
> to nitrile but I still had sweaty hands! The "fix" came in the form of a package
> of 12 of stretchy, cotton, thin, and cheap gloves from Industry Source - or
> TNG or whoever they are now - to wear inside the nitriles.
> Not only does this fix the sweats, it also makes gloves very easy to put on/take
> off.
> The cotton gloves can be washed in the laundry in a lingerie bag. They can
> be reused a couple times inside the gloves but the gloves CANNOT be reused.
> It's an infection control thing. (Nor can finger cotts, etc, btw.)

Those cotton gloves are also good to retail for clients to sleep in at night (although I keep some in a cupboard and just give them away as needed). When my hands get chapped I use them over a heavy cream.

I remember when I first saw a finger cot. I was 16 and a male nail technician/Instructor, Mr. Jay, was rolling it onto his finger. I just about died. "I know, I know," he said.
I have always bought the nitrile gloves from Costco. Best ones I've used. Smile
Reference URL's