You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SensatioNail Invincible Gel Polish -___-
02-26-2012, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2012 02:08 PM by Bob.)
 (Print Post)
RE: SensatioNail Invincible Gel Polish -___-
If the multi-millionaires in this business including those who some consider to be "one of their own" produce consumer products then thats one thing.

But the individual who you are referring to is not a millionaire and for the past year has been trying to make ends meet while dealing with a very difficult family situation. For more than 25 years, she has given to this industry through magazine articles and organizing competitions, and without doubt helped to make it more professional. Because of this she continues to have considerable respect at the top level of this industry because of her contribution.

She has her faults, we all do, but she was not the first to create a commercial product - that dam had been breached already not only by providing products to Sally's, but also by not clamping down on professional products being sold on eBay.

As Jamie Schabeck said on a previous thread, the nail tech is the most important brand - not the products. I do think that the years ahead will be challenging, but that the salons who have the best chance to survive will be those that focus on developing their skills and customer service so that they clear stand above their local competition.

Products alone don't make a great nail product manufacturer - that requires good products but also good education, good customer service and to be seen to actively support professionalism and the professionals in this industry.

What's done is done, and what is in the past is in the past. Let's move on in a positive and constructive way.

Bob

Iryna Giblett Nail Products Inc., Sweden
http://www.irynagiblett.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2012, 03:40 PM
 (Print Post)
Yep. I understand that she has her own issues, as we all do. I can tell you of difficult times in my life as easily as everyone else here can. But the majority of us go on and do what we can while still maintaining basic ethics and self-respect.

"She has her faults, we all do, but she was not the first to create a commercial product - that dam had been breached already not only by providing products to Sally's, but also by not clamping down on professional products being sold on eBay."

The biggest difference here is that none of the other people or companies who have gone public with their professional products is someone who has contributed to the ONE text book that trains each and every professionally licensed nail technician in the United States and some in Canada. I have no beef with Danny Haille or Greg Salo putting out their products to the public because, even though they are high profile experts in the nail industry, they are not the ONE high profile nail technician who is arguably responsible for training the entire industry. How do you think it's going to make new nail techs feel that she thinks it's ok to sell them out and dilute the professionalism of their fields? What with the over abundance of discount salons and even some state boards proposing to do away with professional licensing, it's hard enough to get respect as it is.

"Products alone don't make a great nail product manufacturer - that requires good products but also good education, good customer service and to be seen to actively support professionalism and the professionals in this industry."

Bob, this says it all right here. By developing a consumer grade product that she knew was meant to draw clients away from the professionals, she's NOT supporting and building the professionalism of our industry.

My heart goes out to her for her troubles. I know she's not a millionaire and I know she's been having money troubles for a long time. Few people in this industry are extravagently wealthy. I hope her family issues resolve themselves.

However, it's not our fault that those things happened and she shouldn't have tried to resolve them on the backs of the community that has supported her for 25 years.
Find all posts by this user
02-26-2012, 04:48 PM
 (Print Post)
I got some RCM today. It's crap. Watered down feeling junk. In my experienced professional opinion it's drug store grade, non salon performing, perfect for the DIY experience,
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM
 (Print Post)
I actually went and bought the sensationail kit at walmart one night. I tried it out on my friend at work and the nails came out great. She is totally happy with them. Ive used it three times on her now and she goes 3 weeks without a chip. Ive used the lamp on myself with Gelish when I decided to change my color at home and it worked pefect. I think a lot depends on just how good the person using the product is in doing nails. Oh for all those concerned about removal of the product, I have her do the cotton soaked and wrapped in tinfoil (takes about 15 minutes and it comes off nice, her nails look good).
02-27-2012, 12:13 AM
 (Print Post)
Im extremely good at what I do and found the RCM to be poor. Many techs here have used off brands with no luck, being experts in nail care, so I kinda have to disagree with being good at it no matter what product it is.
02-27-2012, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 08:51 AM by Bob.)
 (Print Post)
But is consumer gel polish drawing customers away from professionals? Professional products like Shellac and Gelish have been available on eBay for what, at least a year? During this time isn't it the case that many salons have either seen an increase in business due to gel polish? This suggests that availability to consumers is not affecting salons and lends weight to the argument that DIY’ers are not the same people who visit salons. Have you personally lost any customers because they bought consumer gel polish?

Because professional hair products are available to consumers, does that impact on the publics perception of hair stylists as professionals? If someone makes a mess of coloring their hair, surely they either blame themselves or the manufacturer for making a product too complex? They don’t blame all hair stylists for their lack of professionalism. Therefore I don’t believe that the professionalism of nail techs will be affected because consumers can buy gel polish.

Also, in Russia and Ukraine, professional nail products have always been available to anyone. You can even buy cheap Chinese products on many markets or in subway station shops. Yet since the products first arrived in the mid-90's the professional nail industry has grown enormously and arguably produces some of the world's best nail techs. Certainly many of the advanced nail art techniques have derived from Russia and it seems like someone from East Europe wins the World Championship in Germany in either gel or acrylic every year ;-) There are many low cost salons - not as you know in the US, but self-trained people working from their kitchen table. But the customers who go to these people are not the same who could afford to go to a professional salon. Incidentally, many of these self-trained people go on to take education and become professional nail techs because they can make significantly more money than working as teachers or scientists in these countries!

Probably there are a lot of consumers who have bought gel polish during the last year, but applying gel polish correctly is much more complicated than coloring your hair at home – which kind of sets a benchmark for expectations. So I would not be at all surprised if many of these simply don’t have the patience to work at getting a good result and have returned to nail polish.

Sensationails is produced under the Nailene brand that has always been sold to consumers. Lomasi gel polish is sold as a consumer product in such a way that the average consumer will not understand it is from YN, and therefore they won’t perceive that they are buying professional grade products. I don’t have a problem with consumer focused companies selling consumer-grade gel polish to consumers. When the average consumer tries to use this and doesn’t get a good result, there is a good chance they will give up and blame the product. Nor do I have an issue with a well-know nail tech promoting education by writing some chapters in the standard nail school book, while also acting as a consultant for a consumer product manufacturer to create a line of consumer gel polishes.

It’s to early to say if gel polish will continue to be popular, or if customers will drift back to gel or acrylic French. Gel and acrylic is harder wearing and more suitable for people with weaker nails. It also looks better than dark colored gel polishes that show visible nail growth after a week. Plus in Europe at least, many customers wear their gel or acrylic nails for at least 4 weeks which means one trip to the salon compared to two with most gel polishes, saving both time and money.

At this point, I think it would be unwise for any nail tech to focus only gel polish. If something is easy to do, there is a risk that it will become a consumer product as all the Minx copies show. At the moment I think gel polish is not in this category yet, but in the future two things can happen. Future generations of gel polish can become much easier to apply, and nail polish manufacturers fearful of losing business can produce new longer wearing polishes – such as that recently announced by Revlon. Or they can come out with their own consumer gel polish line and hammer the market with mass advertising and lower high-volume price because many of these are owned by multi-billion dollar global and multi-brand beauty product corporations. We also cannot rule out the possibility that more discount salons will offer the gel polish service. As far as I know that hasn’t happened in Europe yet, but if they can make money from a quick and relatively simple service then it would be foolish to ignore the possible risk.

I believe that there will always be a market for gel and acrylic because in 20+ years Bio Sculpture never managed to convince every customer that soak-off gel polish was the only solution for weak or well-groomed nails. Therefore if I was a nail tech, I would enjoy the bonus that gel polish brings me today but I would also continue to develop my gel, acrylic and nail art skills so that I can differentiate my skills and services more easily from my competitors. It's always good business strategy not to put all of your eggs in one basket.

We have taken the decision not to produce a consumer gel polish line. Perhaps this is not the most wise commercial decision, but then our strategy is not only focused on profit and growth. We prefer to adopt strategies that help nail techs be more professional and make more money by developing their skills; such as our nail art magazine, the new line of educational video’s we are producing, creating tutorials and articles for magazines, and the free education we provide. Just now we are working on a new idea that will help selected nail salons to more easily differentiate themselves from discount salons and plan to start rolling out this idea during the next three months in Europe. Incidentally, the main reason why we don’t sell our products in the US today is that we do not want them to be purchased by consumers because we feel it would reduce their “exclusivity”. Until now we have not found a distributor that has a system in place to ensure that this doesn’t happen.

In conclusion, I don't think you should be concerned about the actions of the well-known nail tech. You are right to see possible risk, but not from consumers. The risk as I see it comes from what happens next to gel polish if it continues to be popular or becomes much easier to apply, the competitive response from traditional polish manufacturers and the discount salons.

Of course, I could be proved to be totally wrong. LOL! (but then I don't have all my eggs in one basket either).

Sorry for the long post ;-)

Bob

02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
 (Print Post)
I guess I just haven't made my point to you, Bob. It has nothing to do with the type of product. It has everything to do with WHO is doing it.

As I said before, Greg Salo and Danny Haille both have put their professional type products into the consumer market. They certainly have their professional reputations in our industry and are to be respected. They offer incredible education, free and at low cost to the nail professional.

But, respected professionals aside, those two gentlemen are NOT Vickie Peters. They have not significantly contributed to M'Lady textbooks, the ONE textbook that is used by virtually all nail techs in their education to become nail professionals. That particular textbook is used by all State Boards to prepare their exams for licensing. Her words and her education are in the brains of nail techs everywhere as they start their professional careers. Of course their are others who have contributed to M'Lady but none of them (as far as I know) have been at the forefront of developing and marketing a product that is meant to circumvent the nail professional.

Say what you will, hitching her professional reputation to a non-professional product that is marketed to DIY'ers is an outright slap in the face to every nail professional who is trying to make a living in their chosen field.
02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
 (Print Post)
Gel poilish just happens to be the "product" some companies have now decided "takin' it to the streets" may be a lucrative thing. Heck with the professional "exclusivity" of their company - they are going to ride the fence and see how they make out with selling these products to the general public as well. (I can see this becoming a standard industry practice, in the future, for more and more companies. It looks as if we are going to have to get used to it, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.)

However, I still love professional "exclusivity" in my products that I use on my clients. I think it elevates us as professionals and makes our client's time in the salon special.

It is simple for me. If your company stays professional, and I like your products, I am all in. I will purchase with abandon. I will participate in your educational events.

If your company prefers to sell your professional products under "another name" to the general public as well, undercutting the professionals, I will have lost a measure of trust and respect for your company and may or may not decide to purchase products from your company, according to my needs. But I will look at your company as a last resort for purchasing and education - and I may not smile at you as much if I visit your booth at a beauty show.

This is just my very honest and forthright opinion. I've stated it all before, I've said it again, and now I am done.
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 11:50 AM by Bob.)
 (Print Post)
Harmonsky, we have to agree to disagree. I have not seen any evidence that this is negative for professionals either through lost of reputation or business. Hair product manufacturers have been doing this for years, also with no detrimental effect on the professionals. The only difference is, in Europe at least, that the hair product manufacturers often provide free education to the salons (including how to retail) and they only use selected and trained salons to advertise their brand - which increases the skills and exclusivity for the professional.

As there is no evidence to support the negative impact you propose, it sounds more like you are fitting an argument to a situation because of a previous unrelated grievance.

I'm done.

02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
 (Print Post)
Its unfortunate but clients can buy our pro kits, and then bring up youtube to get the step by step instructions from the company that sold them. Same with Young Nails and Gelish, with their consumer kits. They can see how its done and get FAQ's as easy as pie. My clients are still too lazy to use that at home gelish kit. I have some who could use it since we have to make out appointments so far apart. ( they fly from out of state every 5 weeks ) No one in my chair wants to do it at home. I am not losing clients.
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
 (Print Post)
(02-26-2012 12:24 PM)harmonysky Wrote:  She should have focused her efforts on a good quality professional product.

Why? That never happened before.

Denise Anderson
Attitudes
Salem, OR
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
 (Print Post)
>When ya buy a little kit that doesn't come with our professional instructions, step by step guide, then good, cause ya don't need our trade secrets to application or technique.

Actually, if you go online to http://sensationailgel.com/#faq, you will get professional instructions and tips on how to apply, remove, and troubleshoot this product.

When sogp came out for pro to use, there was not this kind of support for our products. Countless post were made here troubleshooting just about all the sogp that had just gotten into our hands.

What happened to the years of reseatch these companines claimed to made?

To me it seemed as though after we pros bought and used the product, expressed trials and errors (using our own clients as guinia pigs), then posting our results here at BT, we were finally able to get the product to "work"!

Now these companies are cashing in big time.

Enhance
02-28-2012, 11:26 AM
 (Print Post)
Very true Enhance, very true.
On another note.
DIY= the at home look ( that may be good or bad ) and a pro stop should = great, but that's not always the case. Last night a new client walked in not 5 min after leaving my neighboring NSS asking if I could help her botched shellac job. They were awful and looked DIY like. I didn't have time being booked full but I gave her a coupon and a card. I was bummed to see such poor work from a salon. Good for me, bad for her. It does show that not everything is get what you pay for, or that a salon will do any better.
02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
 (Print Post)
(02-26-2012 04:48 PM)sobeit Wrote:  I got some RCM today. It's crap. Watered down feeling junk. In my experienced professional opinion it's drug store grade, non salon performing, perfect for the DIY experience,

I am reading too late this, sorry!.
My internet was really bad for a few days. I could advise you not to waste your money on any of those RCM, I have read about how watered they are Sad.
02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
 (Print Post)
That's ok parknails. Lesson learned. Drug store quality, I was right lol.
02-28-2012, 11:02 PM
 (Print Post)
(02-27-2012 08:42 AM)Bob Wrote:  It’s to early to say if gel polish will continue to be popular, or if customers will drift back to gel or acrylic French. Gel and acrylic is harder wearing and more suitable for people with weaker nails. It also looks better than dark colored gel polishes that show visible nail growth after a week. Plus in Europe at least, many customers wear their gel or acrylic nails for at least 4 weeks which means one trip to the salon compared to two with most gel polishes, saving both time and money.

At this point, I think it would be unwise for any nail tech to focus only gel polish. If something is easy to do, there is a risk that it will become a consumer product as all the Minx copies show. At the moment I think gel polish is not in this category yet, but in the future two things can happen. Future generations of gel polish can become much easier to apply, and nail polish manufacturers fearful of losing business can produce new longer wearing polishes – such as that recently announced by Revlon. Or they can come out with their own consumer gel polish line and hammer the market with mass advertising and lower high-volume price because many of these are owned by multi-billion dollar global and multi-brand beauty product corporations. We also cannot rule out the possibility that more discount salons will offer the gel polish service. As far as I know that hasn’t happened in Europe yet, but if they can make money from a quick and relatively simple service then it would be foolish to ignore the possible risk.

I believe that there will always be a market for gel and acrylic because in 20+ years Bio Sculpture never managed to convince every customer that soak-off gel polish was the only solution for weak or well-groomed nails. Therefore if I was a nail tech, I would enjoy the bonus that gel polish brings me today but I would also continue to develop my gel, acrylic and nail art skills so that I can differentiate my skills and services more easily from my competitors. It's always good business strategy not to put all of your eggs in one basket.
(...)
Bob

I think gel polish is here to stay for a bit and I actually see gel/L&P becoming less and less popular.

I don't feel threatened by gel polish companies making the products easier and easier to use. I've always said that clients don't come to us because they can't do a good job polishing their own nails. I believe that many people do have an access to pro products but they choose to go to the salon because it's easier (and more relaxing) to have someone else do this for them.
My god, you have all kinds of espresso machines available in the stores, yet, coffee shops exist. Why can we make our own coffee for pennies YET we spend 1.75 (probably 10x more) at Starbucks (more for americano actually)
No, seriously, why?
- because we are out and we want coffee now?
- because we like the social aspect of it?
- because we are too lazy to make our own?
- or because we have no skill to make one?

People will always have their priorieties and if they truly enjoy having their manicures or pedicures done for them, if booking appointments is not too much of a hassle (think about how many people will stand in a line up before giving up), if the whole experience is good, they will come.

I feel that these "small luxuries" can actually make people feel better about themselves especially when "times are tough"
I know that after a stressfull (or slow!) day at work I love to go out to a small, local restaurant for my "goat cheese salad"
Again, it's not that I can't make one (for the FRACTION of the cost), it's not like I can't get ALL the ingredients at a local supermarket or a receipe on the internet. It just feels better when someone makes it for me, brings it to the table and at the end says with a smile: "See you tomorrow guys".

Anna
blog: http://www.polished4pros.blogspot.com/
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sensationail Gel LED light JulieM 3 1,309 09-01-2012 06:11 AM
Last Post: Bob