You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
BeautyTech.com

BeautyTech Main PageBeautyTech Main Page        BeautyTech ForumsBeautyTech Forums        Beautytech ShoppeBeautyTech Shoppe        CalendarVisit Nailtech.com        Like us on Facebook        Follow us on Twitter        Find us on Pinterest        View our videos on YouTube       
click THIS... win STUFF...click THIS... win STUFF...        SponsorsSponsors        NT Mailing List SponsorsNT Mailing List Sponsors        SearchFREE Salon Locator Listing        LINDLI Network Day       
FAQFAQ        ContactContact        SearchShoppe Search        SearchForum Search        Make Homepage

BeautyTech Dedicated to Educate and Decorate BeautyTech Home

BeautyTech Sponsors SPONSORS
BeautyTech Sponsors NT Mailing List Sponsors

CONTESTS
BeautyTech click THIS... win STUFF... click THIS/win STUFF
BeautyTech Strut Your STUFF Competition Strut Your Stuff

SHOPPING
BeautyTech Shoppe BeautyTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Swap & Shop
BeautyTech Shoppe Salon Posters
BeautyTech Shoppe Milady Publications
BeautyTech Shoppe NailTech Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Empower NailArt
BeautyTech Shoppe EZ Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Odyssey Shoppe
BeautyTech Shoppe Valentino Air Filter
BeautyTech Shoppe Star Nail International
BeautyTech Shoppe Cuccio Naturale
BeautyTech Shoppe Cinapro Nail Art
BeautyTech Shoppe HairCentral

NETWORK
NailTech Connect @ BeautyTech Forums NailTech Connect
BeautyTech Forums Message Boards
NailTech Mailing list @ Google Groups Mailing List
BeautyTech Network Events Network Events

TOOLS
BeautyTech Search Shoppe Shoppe Search
BeautyTech Search Forum Forum Search
Search Business Builders
BeautyTech Professional Licensing Links Licensing Info
BeautyTech Calendar Calendar
BeautyTech.INFO FREE Salon Listing FREE Salon Listing
BeautyTech Photo Gallery Photo Gallery

EVERYTHING ELSE
Advertise @ BeautyTech Advertise
BeautyTech Contact Contact Us
BeautyTech Privacy Policy Privacy Policy

STAY INFORMED

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED AD

NailTech.com - Star Nail International, Odyddey Nail, HairCentral, Empower Nail Art

Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What kind of nail tech are you?
03-26-2012, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012 12:30 PM by Nail Raising.)
 (Print Post)
What kind of nail tech are you?
<b>What shaped you into the nail tech you are?</b>

I am not polling so a bit of detail would be appreciated. Thanks.

Did you start out knowing you wanted to do nail art?
Did you only want to do natural nails?
Did you only want to do enhancements?
Did you want to in natural looking enhancements (see Carl Anderson's work on YouTube if not familiar.)
Did you want to specialize in salon style nail enhancements?
Did you want to be a "I can do it all" tech?

What I am really asking is what were your goals in producing nails? I am not referring to 'be a business person' or 'own my own salon' or 'make money'.

Thanks for your time. Smile

(03-26-2012 12:27 PM)Nail Raising Wrote:  What shaped you into the nail tech you are?

Did you want to in natural looking enhancements (see Carl Anderson's work on YouTube if not familiar.)

What I am really asking is what were your goals in producing nails? I am not referring to 'be a business person' or 'own my own salon' or 'make money'.

What shaped you into the nail tech you are?

There really does need to be an 'edit' button. Is there one I am missing?

Anna
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2012, 12:42 PM
 (Print Post)
RE: What kind of nail tech are you?
I knew right away all I wanted to do were enhancements...I loved that you could transform someones unfortunate ,bitten ,and or stubs ,into elegant perfectly shaped masterpieces. Over the years thats mostly what I did aside from loads of pedicures and a few manicures here and there...still love doing enhancements more than anything though...
Find all posts by this user
03-26-2012, 12:57 PM
 (Print Post)
I just wanted to be able to properly do my own nails. I had a horrid experience with a tech that left me with an infection that backed up into my blood, ending with me in the hospital and getting a transfusion. I then used my newfound knowledge to work my way through college (for my "real" career). After teaching for a few years, I realized that I was much happier doing nails, so I went back to that full time. I enjoy being a "do it all" tech as it keeps me challenged.

Claudia
C-C My Nails
Newcastle, WY
03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
 (Print Post)
This is such an important question, to make us remember why we entered this crazy industry. For the times when we start to wonder why we signed up for a job where every day we were going to be getting performance reviews twice from every client, once at the start of the appointment when we hear how well the nails lasted (or didn't) and whether or not they got compliments, and again at the end when they judge our finished work!

Oddly enough, when I decided to do nails it had very little to do with the nails themselves! After working in the Finance sector for so long, and being a numbers girl by nature, I just wanted to do something with the creative part of my brain. Smile When I was thinking about a career change, I wanted it to be something creative, service oriented to be able to have a positive impact on others, and it also had to be something where I could eventually be self employed. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear about money lol.

Candice
Nail Tech/Owner
http://www.PanacheNailStudio.com
03-26-2012, 08:22 PM
 (Print Post)
No, I just wanted to do nails.

At the time I started doing nails, either you did acrylics or you did nothing!

yes, hated doing pedis.

I wanted to make the nails thin enough to pass for natural but found that if there's too much length, they'd break.

When I started, all I knew was salon style and it's what I still do. Competition nails are different animals, imo.

Not sure what you mean by that....I strive to create good quality acrylic and gel nails, along with offering sogp. The only other service I offer is pedis.
03-26-2012, 08:33 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-26-2012 06:33 PM)CandiceAE Wrote:  Oddly enough, when I decided to do nails it had very little to do with the nails themselves! After working in the Finance sector for so long, and being a numbers girl by nature, I just wanted to do something with the creative part of my brain. Smile When I was thinking about a career change, I wanted it to be something creative, service oriented to be able to have a positive impact on others, and it also had to be something where I could eventually be self employed. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear about money lol.

Candice-you are a girl after my own heart!
I, too work in the financial sector-it has been brutal these past three years! I decided that I wanted something creative with instant gratification seeing the end product in a few hours (not months) where I am nurturing and providing a positive impact. One day it will replace the "day job" and I look forward to being self employed in my semi retirement years!

Stacy Hart
Nails by Hart
Albany, Oregon
http://www.facebook.com/nailsbystacyhart
http://www.nailsbyhart.com
03-29-2012, 09:12 PM
 (Print Post)
I started just doing nail art when I was in the salon between massage clients and also did nail art at another friends nail salon. When I checked with the state they said eventually I would have to be licensed to continue to do it. So after several years, I was working for a school district and decided to use my summer off to go to school. Being around acrylic and attending an education class at the salon, I decided I wanted to be a gel only tech. I learned to do acrylic obviously but have been 100% gel my entire career. Still love the art aspect. So to answer your question, I wanted to do nail art. But, found out I loved enhancements.

Ellen Torchia
Owner Too Much Fun
President SB&S Graphics, Inc
Replicator Graphics

Former Top 10 Competitor

"A mind once stretched by the imagination never regains it's original form."
03-30-2012, 08:08 PM
 (Print Post)
I started in the industry back in 97. I had a friend who was a stylist and thought what she did was so fun, but I did not want to do hair. I remembered painting my mom's toes as a kid and I used to give her foot massages on a bad day. She loved it and went on and on about how great it made her feel.

I started in this industry for the pedicures. I knew how special they make people feel. Still to this day...they are my favorite service to do.

Malea

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Maleas-Mob...ef=tn_tnmn

http://nailsbymalea.com/
03-30-2012, 09:33 PM
 (Print Post)
(03-26-2012 08:33 PM)OregonJewel Wrote:  
(03-26-2012 06:33 PM)CandiceAE Wrote:  Oddly enough, when I decided to do nails it had very little to do with the nails themselves! After working in the Finance sector for so long, and being a numbers girl by nature, I just wanted to do something with the creative part of my brain. Smile When I was thinking about a career change, I wanted it to be something creative, service oriented to be able to have a positive impact on others, and it also had to be something where I could eventually be self employed. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear about money lol.

Candice-you are a girl after my own heart!
I, too work in the financial sector-it has been brutal these past three years! I decided that I wanted something creative with instant gratification seeing the end product in a few hours (not months) where I am nurturing and providing a positive impact. One day it will replace the "day job" and I look forward to being self employed in my semi retirement years!

This is ME, TOO!!!! I worked in banking for almost 20 yrs, got burnt out, wanted something "people-oriented, fun and creative and something that had a flexible schedule" since I was a single mom. Being a nail tech enabled me to all that AND MORE. I started in 2003 and wanted to "do it all".

- LOVE pedicures and feel like it is one of the key services that a person does JUST FOR THEMSELVES,

- LOVE enhancements; wanted to create nails that "look natural". I remember seeing nails that looked so fake (still do),

- Used to find manicures kinda boring (before gel polishes)! I am not much for nail art. I do VERY simple hand art but compliment it with colored acrylic and tons and tons of glitter! LOL

Lots of nail salons offer quick SERVICES, I wanted to offer an warm, friendly salon environment that provides a memorable experience for each client through exceptional service and technical excellence.

Dawn
_______
Women are like tea bags.....you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/DawnPrattNailSalon
Post Reply  Post Thread 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Photo Nail Talk Radio: Nail Tech Merritt Badge NTR_Braden 0 877 09-19-2013 06:25 PM
Last Post: NTR_Braden
  a different kind of lifting issue getnailed20 5 1,167 05-19-2013 12:59 PM
Last Post: getnailed20
  A Different Kind Of Soak Off Colour @ Cuccio.NailTech.com BeautyTech.com 9 2,966 03-26-2013 12:57 PM
Last Post: CandiceAE
  Washington Tech's - Nail tech Program Melissa82 24 7,867 09-23-2012 11:30 PM
Last Post: Melissa82
  I need advice please! (kind of long) laurab 6 1,712 02-16-2012 10:17 AM
Last Post: laurab
  What Kind of nail brush are you using? dbillow 7 1,958 08-04-2011 08:22 PM
Last Post: jgayle01