You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with our nail industry?
Hi all you fabulous nail techs! 

What's wrong with our nail industry? When polled, the #1 answer always depends on your situation. 

Salon owners say "I can't find nail techs to work in my salon" as their #1 problem, while nail techs say "I can't get educational classes in my area" as their #1 problem. However, both can be solved much easier than you think. 

How? Let me explain.

As a 30 yr. veteran nail tech, I've experienced what life was like BEFORE the invention of the internet. We had to go to great lengths to problem solve, but today is easy breezy compared to then, wouldn't you agree?

Back then salon owners paid money (in the form of a check) to place "help wanted" ads in their local newspaper (made of real paper), which was hand delivered (usually by a kid on a bicycle) to your physical mailbox in front of your actual house.

If you were looking for a nail tech job, back then you had 4 ways of finding one: 

1) reading the newspaper ads 
2) hearing word-of-mouth from people in your town.
3) cold calling salons (using the "phone book" to find their number listed & then 'dialing' their phone number on the 'land line' telephone that was connected to the wall inside your house). 
4) seeing a "help wanted" sign in the window of a salon.

If you were a nail tech looking for classes/shows, back then you had 3 ways of finding one:

1) cold calling nail companies by dialing "0" to talk to the operator (a real, live, English speaking person located in our country) to find out what the company's free 1- 800 phone number was or by getting their phone number (no 800 number meant we paid long distance charges on our phone bill) off the side of our nail products.
2) reading NAILS mag (and eventually Nailpro when it came out) to see the show/class listings in the back of the magazine.
3) being on a company's snail mail list for their extremely infrequent sales specials or catalogue.
4) working in a large, corporate owned department store salon or other chain salon that provided 'in-house' training sessions (a company educator came in for the day) from the nail company's whose products they used (may not be the ones you even like). 

Today you can find show & class information on your smart phone (Google, YouTube, social media, Beautytech, email, etc) within seconds, yet still the problem persists....... salon owners can't find techs & nail techs can't find shows/classes near them.

WHY? Because both aren't growing their networking skills in order to form meaningful relationships within our nail world. 

Every person you meet has connections & information that could help you. And you have connections & information that could help them, too. "Staying connected & serving others will help you grow your business, expand your influence or even land your next job" said Joe Sweeney, author of the book "Networking Is A Contact Sport" (which I highly recommend even if you dislike sports like I do).

We invite you to make contacts & form lifelong friendships at the Nail Tech Event of the Smokies NAILS-ONLY SHOW this July 8-10th in the centrally located resort town of Gatlinburg, TN. Bring your whole family for your "Nail-cation" tax write off, too! 

Why Gatlinburg? The Great Smoky Mountains National Park gets over 9 million visitors a year because it's within a day's drive for 50% of the people in the USA, which means it's a much more affordable location for nail techs when you don't have to fly.

So if you want to make friends with other nail techs, educators & company owners, & experience hands-on Saturday & Monday Workshop Classes, (plus win BIG Door Prizes, enter Amy Becker's Competitions, celebrate at The Gala & socialize at The After Party) then you need to put in the effort to be where the nail techs are......in Gatlinburg at the Nail Tech Event of the Smokies!

Sign up for our 2x month "Fab & Fun" Event Newsletter delivered straight to your email (always on a Monday) so you can be kept in the loop for Contest prizes, nail art & how-to videos, Class listings, new nail tools, plus other great Event happenings on our VERY MOBILE FRIENDLY SITE www.nailtechevent.com!

Sincerely, Jill Wright 
Event Coordinator & Nail Tech
Jill awesome points I am glad there are people out there who are passionate in promoting this industry. I do nail modeling for nail students and techs for creating portfolios business cards and social media platforms and am always seeking opportunities to network to find techs to work with. If you ever want to know more about what I do or my experience feel free to email me. I am looking to try to develop new markets for nail techs and your event sounds like a great opportunity. Best of luck if you do something in the NYC NJ area feel free to reach out.
(03-03-2017, 09:04 AM)nail model 1 Wrote: Jill awesome points I am glad there are people out there who are passionate in  promoting this industry. I do nail modeling for nail students and techs for creating portfolios business cards and social media platforms and am always seeking opportunities to network to find techs to work with. If you ever want to know more about what I do  or my experience  feel free to email me. I am looking to try to develop new markets for nail techs and your event sounds like a great opportunity. Best of luck if you do something in the NYC NJ area feel free to reach out.

Thank you for letting me know what you do & I'd love to see your website, if you've got one to share with us?
Where can I post pics here I did not want to break any rules and seem like I was advertising working on websitetanks for the input sent you an email

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 3
Views: 1,589
03-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Last Post[email protected]
Replies: 8
Views: 4,197
05-06-2014, 12:46 AM